World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers



Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
About this website forum.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /  
 

Best WHS Plaques

 
Author elsslots
Admin
#1 | Posted: 9 Aug 2026 16:21 | Edited by: elsslots 
We have just launched our revised WHS Plaques Page! (as always with new releases, you may need to hard refresh your browser cache, or wait 1-2 days to refresh itself, before you'll see it in its full glory; you should see a full overview of all plaques, sorted most recent first).

One of the new elements is the Featured section, viewable via clicking the button "Featured only". Here I want to highlight the plaques that go above and beyond the standard metal shield or information board. Which Plaques are truly original in their design, their setting or just beautifully done?

I have started with one that I like very much myself (Plaque of Pitons of Reunion). Please let me know below which Plaques you want to see highlighted!

Author flahr
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 9 Aug 2026 17:23 
I enjoy the giant inscribed stones Japanese World Heritage Sites often use to proclaim their status, such as the one in the Nikko gallery taken by Bram de Bruin. (I have some photos of them for some Nara locations but sadly I failed to take down their coordinates.)

Author Rodneyf
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 9 Aug 2026 18:15 | Edited by: Rodneyf 
I took a look at some today and here are some I thought were more interesting:

Gorham's Cave Complex
Odesa
Hwaseong Fortress
Niah Caves (the one with wire sign)
Bali Subak system
Jodrell Bank Observatory
Curonian Spit
Djerba
Paquimé
Migratory Bird Sanctuaries China
Alto Douro
Kaiping Diaolou
Namib Sand Sea
Joggins Fossil Cliffs
Silk Roads: Chang'an-Tianshan Corridor (Plaque at restored Dingding Gate, Luoyang City, Silk Road)
Potosi (Plaque of Potosi Moneda)
Plaque of Walled City of Baku
Pitons Management Area
Jeju
Berat and Gjirokastra
Bryggen
Xixia Imperial Tombs
Kinabulu Park
Quirigua
Gunung Mulu

Author JanWillem
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 10 Aug 2026 17:12 | Edited by: JanWillem 
I just added two more photos.

However, while scrolling the revised plaques page, I noticed that a plaque of Budapest shows up in the Belfries gallery.

Author Linz
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 10 Aug 2026 17:58 
Would it be possible to add a search bar feature? Would make it easier for members to check if a photo exists, and if not they can add theirs.

Author elsslots
Admin
#6 | Posted: 11 Aug 2026 04:05 
Noted, JanWillem and Linz

But please let us know your favourite plaques...

Author Linz
Partaker
#7 | Posted: Today 19:10 
My faves are...
Site carved on the plaque Warsaw, Gjirokastra, Verona
Unique design Hahoe and Yangdong - scroll, Samarkand - book; Quirigua - tree stump; Curonian Spit - pyramid
Plaque part of site viewpoint Mostar, St Lucia Pitons, Los Glaciares Perito Moreno, Budapest

I also like the controversies or very unique ones:
Venezuela- argument about political statement on plaque
Mexico- Morelia defaced by Protestors
Mexico- Archipiélago de Revillagigedo underwater
India -Santiniketan: Plaque did not have the site name nor the creator's name but the Chancellor and Vice names.
UK- signs swapped heritage sites prank
Syria- Crac des Chevaliers has bullet holes in it

Author Liam
Partaker
#8 | Posted: Today 21:16 
I very much enjoyed the recent Jingdezhen review that revealed that its plaque is made from porcelain. The plaques for the Welsh Slate Mining Landscape are likewise made of slate. Frankly Iwami Ginzan Silver Mines need to up their game!

But generally I too like the monolithic rock plaques at many Japanese sites. itsukushima is a hard exception though - there is a plaque at the harbour that is topped with a sort of World Heritage logo that has slightly melted so that it looks as though it has - and I do wish I could phrase this more delicately - testicles. If you know, you know.

About this website forum.worldheritagesite.org Forum / About this website /
 Best WHS Plaques

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message


 ?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

 
 
forum.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Light Forum Script miniBB ®
 ⇑